Day 20- The VERY last one. A Dramatic Retelling

I have a flare for the dramatic, so it's no surprise to me that my children also love drama :-)

Last night, I was putting D to bed and at his request for one more story, I chose to retell the Christmas story, but in a rather detailed fashion....

It included details that are not included in the Gospel accounts of Jesus' birth, but I don't think God would mind overly much.

Tonight, for the very last challenge, I encourage you to retell the Christmas story. But not just by the book, REALLY re tell it.  Use puppets, or dolls, or better yet, use your FAMILY to act it out.  Encourage the kids to have natural responses by asking questions....

As an example.... last night I said to D...

Look, there's a hotel!  It's so fancy, and has a pool and a hot tub.  Mary, wouldn't you like to rest there?  (no room, on to next hotel)  Oh well, this hotel still has a pool even if there is no hot tub... would you like to stay here? (no room....)  Well.... maybe that little motel there?  There isn't a pool or a hot tub, but it does have a warm bed with a comfy pillow....

By the end of the story, D was SO sad! Not that I'm encouraging you to make your children cry, but it really made him realize how hard it must have been to stay in a barn!  I think up until last night, my kids thought it was kind of a cool, fun thing that Jesus was born in a barn!  Not realizing the sacrifice that was made to have a King born in a stable.

I am hoping that tonight as I retell the Christmas story to the kids.. dramatically of course....  that you are doing the same thing at your house.  Even more than that, I hope it can become a Christmas tradition that you and your children look forward to on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas from my wonderful family to yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Them Fail

Friendship

Easter Weekend lessons