Rooted in Love

Last week, as our veggies in the garden looked a little thirsty, I helped my farming guru husband out by watering them. I felt rather proud of myself, and told him of my kindness that evening.  "See, I know how to take care of a garden too!"

Unfortunately, Gibbs gave me a small, informative, lecture on over-watering plants! He says that if we water plants every day, even when I think they look "thirsty"  I take away the opportunity for them to grow deeper roots.

Me: So?
Gibbs: So? Plants that have shallow roots are uprooted by storms. Plants that have shallow roots don't bear very much fruit.

I mean, come on, this should be obvious right?  To be fair, I grew up in West Bloomfield. We don't do much gardening there.

Later that day, in my bible study, I was reading through Romans 1. It says that through the creation we can know the Creator. I've read it before, and can think of various examples, but this was so concrete and visible to me this week!

Sure enough, we had a BIG storm a few days after I kindly watered the thirsty plants. A few of my tomatoes died, and I'm not sure my peppers will survive either!  It was such a reminder to me of what can happen if I don't dig deeper to know God more each day.

God allows trials into our lives that He knows won't uproot us. He allows us the opportunity to seek him, and grow our root structure. When the stronger storms come, they can't tear us away from God. We are able to bear much fruit. During a drought, we are able to rely on our deep roots to keep us satisfied. What a wonderful Father we have! I'm so grateful that he is more knowledgeable about His Creation than I am!

Ephesians 3:17-19     And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Them Fail

Judgement and Parenting

Friendship