A Life of Leisure... Or Not.

Is there anything that feels more leisurely than a tropical island vacation? Nothing can compare to it. The entire atmosphere of the island is carefully constructed with one purpose in mind. The ocean breeze seems to whisper "you worked so hard to get here, you earned this" as you sip on a perfectly made Mai Tai and listen to the strumming on a ukulele and the musician softly singing a Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.



While we were those people on that vacation, we attended a time share presentation. Yes, yes, I know. Never attend those! Though we firmly said no multiple times, the presentation continued until, finally, the salesman pulls out his trump card. "But, you guys have three kids, and run a farm, and work, you truly deserve a vacation. You must believe that."

Now it is no secret that I do not always love living on a farm. I grew up attending private school, vacationing, and spending my weekends on my dad's yacht. So farming is a little bit like the Polar Plunge would be for someone who grew up in Florida. At it's core, farming is about perseverance, hard work, survival. Farming is waking up in the middle of the night to check on the animals, even when it is 20 below. It is going out and feeding and watering everyone even when you have a fever of 102 degrees. It is the complete, absolute opposite of leisure. And there are times when we are tagging lambs (and I'm in charge of catching them!) or breaking a new show lamb (and I'm in charge of the kids breaking them!) or having to put down a sick ewe (I'm not in charge of anything there) that I do believe I deserve a vacation and wish I could escape.

But, I don't. I do not deserve a vacation just because we work hard. Our entire culture teaches us that the goal of life should be more leisure time. Less work. Almost every new "must have" product promises that life will be made easier by it, it will save us time. Time for what? To watch more Netflix? To drink more Mai Tais? To scroll through facebook?

There is nothing wrong with vacationing. We loved our trip and are grateful that we had the opportunity to go (thanks Dad!) Or Netflix. We are currently binge watching Parks and Recreation, so I'm not knocking it. And there is nothing wrong with sipping a Mai Tai. But, when we get to a point in our lives that we begin to feel like we are entitled to that life, then I think there is a big problem.

The salesman used that line as his trump card because it works. He can afford living on Maui selling timeshares because he knows that we have a culture of entitled, leisure-minded people. This philosophy of entitlement settles deeply within us and impacts how we live our daily life. It  makes us resentful of hard work and eager to live a life of comfort and ease.

Nowhere in the bible does God advise us to seek out an easier life. I know for certain that my purpose on earth is not to chase leisure. Or ease. Or comfort. And the days when I resent farming, and feel like it's too hard, those days are my reminder days that I need to seek out God's purpose for me anew. His purpose for me, for everyone, is to bring glory to Him. Our purpose is to live a life marked by love for others. It's a life that is wrung out for His sake. And it will not be easy. He promises that it will be hard over and over and over again in the bible.

When I begin to get sucked into the idea that I deserve more vacation, more recreation, more pleasure, that gluttonous, more-more-more attitude, it just sends me spiraling down a path of self centered entitlement. If my life's goal is to love Him and to love others, then farming is simply a tool that He is using to teach me right now. It's a way to love my husband, to learn self-discipline, and the value of hard work.

So, although I don't do it perfectly most days, or almost no days at all, I will keep on working hard, taking joy in the fruit of our labor, taking rest when we need it, and finding contentment in living a life for His sake and not my own.

"Not only that, but we rejoice in our trials knowing that trials produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5





Comments

  1. Love this Steph! Such true statements!! Our culture is hurry up and retire or hurry get through this so we can relax. There's a place for it but it can get in the way of serving God. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Stephanie. I struggle when people say we deserve something. The only thing I deserve is the opposite of what I want; pain, suffering, separation from the Lord, punishment...the list is long. What we are granted is; grace, mercy, love...another long list. We have a loving and gracious God who likes to see us happy but it’s sure not deserved nor are we entitled to anything good with our/my daily disobedience. I’m thankful for His grace, love, mercy and forgiveness! That’s the most treasured way to relax-knowing an extent of his love. (But I do enjoy a great vacation now and then) :) -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Them Fail

Friendship

Easter Weekend lessons