Celebrating

When Kaitlyn was first born and diagnosed with Down Syndrome, I had a wonderful doctor come in and encourage me.  He told me that although it felt like my world was ending, it wasn't.  It was really just beginning.

I don't remember a lot from the first few days, but I do remember doubting.

I read a poem that first month, about raising a child with a disability, that likened the feeling to having a dream die.  Suddenly the dream of a certain destination, the "end goal" of raising children seems impossible....

The last 6 1/2 years have been the most eye opening, life changing years of my life. Watching Kaitlyn fight her way to independence has given me hope and faith that I didn't have before her.

I have been so deeply humbled by celebrating each accomplishment with her, accomplishments that I didn't think she was capable of.  And it shifted the way that I see my purpose in life in a way that nothing else could have.

Last night, celebrating Down Syndrome, being a part of an organization that is out in this community showing everyone that we should NEVER underestimate what people with Down Syndrome can do... it reminded me of how far we have come, excited for how far there is left to go...

Knowing that Kait has changed my life, and has continued to prove me wrong every day about what she can accomplish, She is teaching Me that what she can do with her life far exceeds what I can do with my own.  I am so grateful to be along for the ride.

Comments

  1. Love this...so able to relate...and Partners in Policymaking, for some reason or another, helped me to take another leap into celebration mode...our kids are amazing, our lives are incredible testaments of God's love and grace.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Them Fail

Judgement and Parenting

Friendship